Substitute teachers are utilized on an as-needed basis. A current Oklahoma teaching certificate or four-year degree is preferred, but not required.
When substitute positions are available, the application may be accessed through our district website under “Employment – Job Opportunities” in the Main Menu drop-down. You will be required to create an account if you are applying for a job position with our district for the first time. Returning applicants will need to sign in to their existing account before applying for any available job listing.
Returning Substitute Information
Returning Substitute Status Requirements
To maintain an experienced and well-trained substitute staff pool, Putnam City Schools requires all substitutes to have worked a minimum of one (1) day the 2020-2021 school year. Substitutes who did not work the minimum of one (1) day this past school year may be required to reapply and submit a new background check before becoming an active substitute.
In order to be re-activated for the 2021-2022 school year:
1. You must fill out the online returning substitute form. (place form link here)
2. Complete yearly required GCN tutorials listed for Putnam City School employees www.gcntraining.com
Once logged in, you will see a pop-up showing tutorials for all District staff. Organization name PUTNAM
3. Email form and GCN certificate of completion to firstname.lastname@example.org
**** Please submit both returning substitute form and tutorials at the same time. ***
New Substitute Information
Thank you for your interest in becoming a substitute/guest teacher at Putnam City Schools. We take pride in utilizing qualified, capable, and responsible guest teachers to assume the demanding (but also rewarding) role in the education of children/youth at the school site assigned in the absence of a classroom teacher.
Requirements for a substitute teacher:
Substitute/guest teachers must be at least 21 years of age or have completed 40 hours of college credit. Substitutes are utilized on an as-needed basis. A current Oklahoma teaching certificate or four-year degree is preferred, but not required.
The application process:
1. When substitute positions are available, the application may be accessed here. (Link coming soon.)
2. New substitute paperwork will be sent through email once application is accepted.
3. A national criminal history record check and fingerprinting ($57.25 fee) are required by the State of Oklahoma. The applicant is responsible for any cost associated with the background check. Instructions on where and how make an appointment are included with the paperwork.
4. Applicants who have completed all paperwork will then receive an invitation to attend a mandatory substitute/guest teacher orientation.
Certified Pay - (requires a current Oklahoma Teaching Certificate)
$75.00 full day; $37.50 half day
Cert Pay After 20 Days Worked - $80.00 Full Day; $40.00 Half Day
Non-Certified Pay - $60.00 full day; $30.00 half day
Non-Cert Pay After 20 Days Worked - $65.00 Full Day; $32.50 Half Day
TA/ Clerical - $55.00 full day; $27.50 half day
Putnam City's substitute handbook details information needed to serve successfully as a substitute teacher in our district. Requirements, expectations, compensation and training are included in the handbook.
For more information regarding substitute teaching in Putnam City schools, call the district’s substitute office at 495-5200, ext. 1232, or email email@example.com.