Israel Mercer Putnam moves to Oklahoma City to practice law. Within a year he gives up his law practice to instead start a land company and become a real estate developer.

1901

Pirate Stadium, now known as Putnam City Stadium, opens.

1906

Putnam constructs the Putnam Building, a two-story, three-wing, 56-room brick building at NW 39th and State Avenue. Space in the building in 1914 was used for Putnam City’s first classes. The building would later become known as the Arnett Building after it was purchased by Eugene Arnett in 1916. What’s left of the structure after a 1951 fire is now owned by the Putnam City school district and used as a maintenance building.

1909

The Putnam Company purchases 2,000 acres of land northwest of Oklahoma City with the intention of establishing a new subdivision to be called “Putnam City.” No such subdivision was ever built, but the name stuck. There was even a “Putnam City” stop at the Putnam Building on the Interurban Railway running between Oklahoma City and El Reno along what is now N.W. 39th.

Putnam and his partners, John Shartel, Anton Classen and Henry Schafer, offer 1,600 acres of the land, and $1.7 million, to the state for the construction of the state capitol. Their proposal is accepted by the governor and the State Capitol Commission. However, political and legal wrangling resulted in moving the future State Capitol from Putnam City to N.W. 23rd and Lincoln. In the end, Putnam City was the site of the future State Capitol for six months before the dream died and the deal fell through.

1910

In the spring of 1914, parents of children in four small schools come together with the idea of consolidating the schools into one school district. Their idea quickly turns into reality. By July, the district is officially formed, and that district eventually becomes known as Putnam City Schools. The schools joined together were Central School at N.W. 23rd and Rockwell; Goff School at N.W. 63rd and Rockwell; County Line School at Wilshire and County Line Road; and Ozmun School at N.W. 23rd and Portland.

In September of 1914 the first classes for the new school are held in the Putnam Building.

1914

Students attend school in a new two-story school building at what is now N.W. 40th and Grove. The school serves 160 students. Some students from outlying areas of the district are delivered to and from school in horse-drawn wagons. Others ride their own horses and house them in a shed northwest of the school.

Most unmarried teachers live in “the teacherage,” a home close to the school.

1915

Putnam City gets its first motorized school bus.

1922

Cathryn Simpson begins as Putnam City superintendent. By the time she left the position three years later, she had started and coached the school’s football team, directed a musical comedy stage production, supervised production of the school’s first yearbook and was instrumental in development of a school mascot (Pirates) and song.

1923

Putnam City has 400 students in grades 1 through 12, taught by 13 teachers. There is no cafeteria, so students and teachers bring their own lunches. Boys and girls now have tennis teams and glee clubs.

1924

A new high school building is constructed just east of the original school building. Attending classes in the building were 27 seniors, 29 juniors and 46 eighth-graders.

1926

The high school's first pep club, The Mermaids, is formed.

Enrollment in elementary school grows enough that most grades have two teachers.

1927

The district has 650 students enrolled in grades 1 through 12. There are so many students that some classes meet at Putnam City Baptist Church. The school board proposes construction of a new building to serve elementary students.

1928

“Freshman Whoopee Week,” gets its start as a short-lived high school tradition for initiating 9th-grade students.

1929

The girls’ pep club, the Mermaids, changes its name to the Piratettes. A boys’ pep club, the Buccaneers, is formed.

1930

Construction on the new elementary building is completed and the school opened to students. This building later became known as Central Elementary. With numerous additions, it serves district students until it is replaced with a new building in 2009.

Putnam City announces the hiring of former Olympic champ and baseball, football and track star Jim Thorpe as its high school athletic director. Thorpe accepted the job, but for reasons lost in history he did not end up taking the position.

1931

Putnam City wins its first sports state championship when the high school baseball team topped Hollis in the finals.

1937

Putnam City High founds its first National Honor Society chapter.

1938

The first-ever aerial photo of Putnam City Schools is taken. The photo shows all three Putnam City buildings in existence at the time.

1939

Putnam City's original two-story school building, used mostly for junior high students, is destroyed by fire.

1940

Fire strikes again, this time destroying the high school building. Students must attend classes at Putnam City Baptist Church.

1942

A new boys' pep club is formed: The Corsairs. The club lasts just a year.

1944

A new boys’ pep club is formed: The Sea Wolves.

1948

Denver D. Kirkland becomes superintendent of Putnam City Schools, a position he would hold for 14 years – at that time, the longest tenure ever for a Putnam City superintendent.

1950

A fire destroys all but the east wing of the Arnett Building. Putnam City Schools purchases what is left of the building a few years later, and it is briefly used for classes again. It’s now a district maintenance building.

1951

A new Putnam City Junior High School opens at N.W. 40th and Ann Arbor. This is the same building that later became Central Intermediate School and then Arbor Grove Elementary School.

1952

Putnam City opens D.D. Kirkland Elementary School, the first district school constructed away from the central core of the district. The school is named in honor of Superintendent Denver D. Kirkland.

1957

Putnam City’s new high school building at NW 50th and Ann Arbor opens to students. It is designed to hold 1,200 students, yet on the day it opened there are 1,236 students and 10 additional classrooms already under construction. With the new high school open, the junior high moves into the old high school building and the old junior high becomes an elementary school.

1958

Coronado Heights Elementary School and Hilldale Elementary School open their doors to students for the first time. Pirate Stadium, now known as Putnam City Stadium, opens.

Hilldale Elementary School also opens to students in 1959.

Pirate Stadium, now known as Putnam City Stadium, opens.

1959

Western Oaks Elementary School opens.

The same year, Windsor Hills Elementary School opens.

1961

Rollingwood Elementary School opens to students.

Western Oaks Junior High School, now Western Oaks Middle School, also opens.

1963

Growth in Putnam City continues with the opening of Overholser Elementary School.

A new high school auditorium is constructed at a cost of about $529,000.

Leo Mayfield becomes superintendent of Putnam City Schools, a position he would hold for 14 years, matching D.D. Kirkland for the longest tenure as a Putnam City superintendent.

1964

Lake Park Elementary School and Hefner Junior High School (pictured) open to students.

1966

Tulakes Elementary School opens.

1967

Putnam City West opened in 1968, becoming the ninth district school to open in the decade of the '60s.

1968